Monday, June 05, 2006

Quick Hits: Eric Gregg, Book Reviews, Sopranos, and Jerry Springer

  • It is not looking good for former National League Umpire Eric Gregg. The 55-year old is in critical condition after a stroke, and the prognosis is not good. Probably more so than any other, Gregg is the umpire I best remember from my days growing up. He had tremendous energy about what he did for a job, and a smile almost as wide as his waistline. If he does not recover, the world will miss Eric Gregg.
  • What do you think happens to somebody in their life to make them say: “I have got to be a guest on the Jerry Springer Show?” Shouldn’t there be a team of psychologists devoted to this phenomenon?
  • The Sopranos capped off a disappointing season with a pretty boring season finale. I (after my wife planted the seed) was convinced they were going for a big season ending by knocking off Christopher, but, alas, nothing. At least show us Juliana Margulies’ boobs. Something.
  • I just finished a couple of books, which were sent to me compliments of Andrew B. Stitzer (thank ya Nitz). First, I read One of a Kind, a book on the life of Stu Ungar, probably the greatest poker and gin rummy mind of all-time. If you enjoy character studies/biographies, and/or if you like Texas Hold ‘Em, this is a good, quick read. Second, I read Death Match, a book by Lincoln Child. This was my first read of Child, and overall, his writing is very strong. The story is great for the first 80% of the book, but I felt it came apart at the end. I would be willing to read another of his books in hopes that his story has a better ending, but I would not recommend this one for you (i.e., it is worth reading, but there is better stuff out there).
  • Several people have told me that the NBA Playoffs this year disprove my theory that the NBA is not interesting and, in fact, boring. I agree that many of the games and series have been exciting. My problem with the league, however, transcends whether the games themselves are competitive. My problem lies in the product itself. I feel the game is not team oriented enough, there is not emotion (even in the playoffs), and that overall, the college game is just much more exciting. On a professional level, the NBA does not come close to the intensity or excitement level as the NFL (uh, sorry, the National Football League) or the NHL. Just one man’s opinion.

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 7121207

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home