Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bobby Petrino Shows His True Colors, And a New Blog Option...

A quick blog note: I am going to shoot for increased frequency of posts, meaning I may post shorter stuff. That way, you can always click on the blog and find new stuff....we will see how that works out.

Let me see if I can put this in a nice way. Hmmm. Thinking. Still thinking. Nope. The only way to say it is as follows: Bobby Petrino is a complete and utter jackass. Let me count the ways:
  1. When he was at Louisville, he basically flirted with every possible job opening that came his way. And not just your normal coaching flirtations. I mean he pretty much kissed necks and rubbed boobs before saying he was married and slinking back to Louisville.
  2. When he left, he took a 5 year, $24+ million dollar job to coach the Falcons. Not even a year later, he is leaving Atlanta with a whopping three NFL wins on his resume.
  3. When Arthur Blank, the man who was generous enough to pay him something like $1.5+ million per win, allegedly asked him point blank the other day if he was considering leaving after rumors surfaced, he looked him in the eye and said categorically NO.

Look, bottom line, why sign a five year deal to coach somewhere and then not even give it a full year? The going got tough with the Vick controversy and all the sucking the Falcons have done, and Petrino took his ball and went home, which now evidently is in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Here's to hoping a lot of top recruits will consider Petrino's lack of ability to keep commitments before committing 3-5 years to this coach.

And one more thing on this topic. When will the NFL and the individual coaches involved realize that there is a different skill set to be successful at the pro level than what works in college. Steve Spurrier, one of the best college coaches ever (you automatically get that distinction if you can win at Duke!), could not do it. Nick Saban? Nope. Butch Davis? Nope. Mike Riley? Nope. Barry Switzer? Please. The last guys to do this successfully from my angle were Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Green (yes, Green did have some success in Minnesota before he turned out to be who we thought he was), and that was a while back.

NFL teams should stop taking flyers on guys from the college level who a) probably won't succeed, and b) probably are more cut out for the college game anyway. And yo, college coaches......stop being fooled by the money. You are already making plenty of it. You are popular in your school/city, and you can probably keep your near perfect lifestyle in tact for an indefinite amount of time (see Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden). Appreciate what you have...the grass is not greener on the other side, only the money is.

Finally, Arthur Blank, listen. The real estate market SUCKS, so if you want a great candidate to replace Petrino, give me a call. I promise I will stay the length of my entire contract, and I promise I can win at least the three game Petrino gave you this year. And I will do it for half of Petrino's salary. Think about it...

My buddy J.O., who lives out in California, has jumped into the blog world. Even though he will not admit this, I am fairly certain that he was inspired by ME (I know I can inspire J.O. to do stuff cause once I dared him to give a toast at a 30+ person bachelor party in which he barely knew anyone, and did not even know the groom-to-be all that well). We can only hope this blog is better than that toast was). Anyway, if you live in the Bay area or are planning to visit, J.O.'s blog will be a social commentary on life in San Francisco. I encourage everyone to check it out. (It is also linked in my link section under Cocktail Hour).

4 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Stitz said...

that toast was EB's favorite part of the weekend.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petrino is a real schmuck.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was one of the funniest, and most painful toasts ever. But he did talk for 4 minutes without stopping about someone he did not even know. I think I had 3 drinks during this time...

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me want to vomit to say this, but didn't Barry Switzer win a Super Bowl? That's more than Fat Cap'n Andy can say. Maybe the best college coach who sucked in the NFL was Pete Carroll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home