Monday, January 09, 2006

Dave Kay's Take: Izzo bashing

Dave Kay is a Wisconsin grad, big time Badger backer, and not a big fan of Tom Izzo. He compiled the following opinion on the Michigan St. coach. As always, my reaction is posted after his take...
_____________________________________________________
First time blog poster. I am a loyal reader of your blog and finally have an issue I believe needs to be addressed that has ticked me off enough to weigh in. That issue is the incessant whining and immaturity of Tom Izzo. As evidence, I cite the following quotes after yesterday's 20 pt. shellacking by my beloved Wisconsin Badgers (fair disclosure is always best here):

"I'm a little bit confused as a coach. I'm not sure I understand what has happened to our offense."
"I know Wisconsin played some good defense, but our two stars are not playing very well. It's no secret. In fact,they're playing awful."
Izzo prefaced his post-game remarks by saying that his offense stank. Then the whipping rod really came out.
"Our two stars are playing awful."
"Give some blame to Michigan State."
"We deserve to feel a little miserable right now. We deserve this."

He is the biggest whiner in college hoops. The guy just cannot accept that he has now lost 8 out of 9 games to a coach with inferior talent. His other postgame comments following previous losses to UW have blamed the refs, the fans, hard-fouling Wisc. players, etc. etc. He conveniently omits the fact that Wisc's best player went 5 for 17 from the field and 6 for 17 from the line, yet we somehow won by 20. It's never his fault when they lose, or the fact the other team played well, EVER. So this time he chooses to blame a couple of 21 yr old kids ostensibly not being paid to play the game. You will never hear Bo Ryan call out his own kids in the press or ever fail to give praise to the other team when they lose, or often even when they win.
It's about time someone in the Nat'l media calls out this guy for his behavior rather than just kissing his a-s like they've done for 10+ yrs now. They need to realize this isn't the NBA and I keep praying this a-hole takes one of these NBA jobs he's allegedly been offered so he could be exposed for what he is, but then again it would probably cost UW at least 2 wins a year. He is basically Jim O'Brien who has a college fiefdom that protects him from criticism. Unlike in games past, he at least did Bo Ryan the "honor" of actually shaking his hand after the game yesterday. And I won't even go into that annoying pained expression and excessive ref intimidation he engages in.
_______________________________________________________
Dils' reaction: Wow. It looks like Wisconsin fans have as much venom for Izzo as Maryland fans do for Coach K. Familiarity plus success breed contempt. I would have been most likely to agree with this post after last year's March Madness in which Izzo's boys knocked off my Blue Devils. However, I have never seen or heard complaints like this against Izzo. That is not to say by any means they are not accurate, I just need to pay attention so I can form my own analysis. I am sure my boys Bryla and Fro will have some heated retorts to Mr. Kay if they see this post, but I will just stay neutral and let the fireworks fly. I will say that Wisconsin has gotten off to a great start, looked very impressive in their blowout of Michigan St (which I thought would be a tough win with the Spartans coming off a loss at Illinois), and are extremely well coached. Bo Ryan, in my opinion, gets as much year in and year out from his talent as any coach in the country. Michigan St, while struggling now, will be a brutally tough out in March, and I would just as soon have Duke's road go through others rather than Izzo's bunch. Now I can get my focus back to Wednesday's Duke/Maryland showdown!!!

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Stitz said...

I completely aree that Izzo is a whiner - I have noticed that for years. He has something to say to the Refs after every call or perceived non-call. It must be something that they teach at MSU, because I noticed Nick Saban pulled the same crap with the Dolphins this year. As a Big East fan since its 1979-80 inception, I know a whiner when I see one thanks to watching Boeheim for 27 years.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Dils said...

From Dave Kay:

Interesting take, and please pass along that I appreciate and respect the objectivity. I respect MSU's program and Izzo as purely a game coach, and I don't really have a huge problem with the on-court whining, as he is correct that it's an unfortunate, but very large part of winning in the college game. My biggest beef is his lack of sportsmanship. It started a couple of yrs ago after one of Ryan's first big wins against MSU when Izzo refused to shake his hand for reasons still unknown. It continued later that year in Vegas when I was playing blackjack in Vegas at 3 am and was attacked basically for being a Badger fan (I swear I wasn't obnoxious at all) by a fat, drunk and stupid MSU fan who was restrained by his 6 buddies who all profusely apologized to me and pledged their respect for UW and Ryan. But I digress.

It was further cemented after subsequent UW wins over MSU, including Sunday's, when Izzo just refused to give credit to Ryan or UW. There is ALWAYS another reason they lose. He's cited refs multiple times, "thuggish" UW players (as if MSU under Izzo didn't practically invent intimidating, football-style hoops - and aren't they the team that proudly talks about how they have football-style practices where they beat themselves up in the paint trying to get rebounds without shooting and everything else involved?), fans, and now his own players. When does he simply own up to the fact that he was beaten by a better team on that night, or even better, by a coach with inferior talent?

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He just ignores Bo Ryan after every Badger victory. Not only does he whine he is also a poor sport (perhaps the same thing!?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home