Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Eagles, Are they Back? Plus, Joe Gibbs commentary, Steroids, College Hoops Parity, Bowl Season, & Baseball Fiscal Irresponsibility

First of all, if anyone reading this did not receive my Dils Bowl Pool, and is interested in joining, shoot me an email or put a comment in the comments section at the bottom of this post and I will get you a copy of the rules….

The Eagles are now like the mob: just when you try to get out, they suck you back in. I actually think the Eagles win on Monday is more a testament of how the Carolina Panthers have been huge underachievers all year than about any real resurgence in the Birds. Some Bird fans that I know are getting all excited that the team may make the playoffs (which they would if the season ended right now), and then, the NFC is so bad that who knows. I counter that argument by saying who cares if the team goes 8-8 or 9-7 and ekes out a wild card spot. Despite the lack of great teams in the NFC, this team is simply not good enough to win three straight games on the road against some combination of the Cowboys, Bears, Saints, and Seahawks. No chance. And being that the goal is to get to and win Super Bowls, not just get to the playoffs (they have done that plenty), I refuse to get overly excited. Second, they still have to go on the road for three straight divisional games, and that still makes getting to the playoffs a long shot, even if this conference with the depth of a wading pool.

Now, does my attitude make me less of an Eagles fan, as some claim that I have become? I would argue absolutely not. I still follow the team just as closely. I still watch and dissect every play of every game. They still aggravate me when they do something stupid. No, it does not make me any less of a fan. It simply makes me a realist. I am not sure when some fans a) became optimistic, which is not what has been ingrained in us as a collective group after 23 years of failure in all sports, or b) when an 8-8 record that happened to back you in to the playoffs became an acceptable result for a team whose fans thought could win a Super Bowl this year. So, I point back at those fans, and remind them that this team has been extremely disappointing, and that a wild card first round playoff loss does not cut it. So, unless this team is going to pull a St. Louis Cardinals and go all the way once they back into the playoffs, what’s the point?

A couple of Redskins fans have asked me to comment on Joe Gibbs and what is going on with the Redskins. People could argue whether or not they think Joe can still coach in this league. From my standpoint, I think he can, but that he has a couple of factors that are tough to overcome. He has talent that is simply not good enough to win in this league, first and foremost. Next, he has a guy (Daniel Snyder) playing fantasy football for big stakes that is making way too many football decisions. What is it with owners these days? Even Arthur Blank is looking like a major putz, but that is another story for another day. So, I would say the verdict of whether Gibbs can still be an effective coach is still out, but that I think it is more likely that not that the answer is yes. My bigger question on Gibbs is why in the world does he still want to do this? He has won Super Bowl titles. He is in the pro football Hall of Fame. He has a passion in stock car racing at which he has had a lot of success, winning two championships there as well. And he has enough money that he does not need Daniel Snyder’s $5 million per year (and the headaches that come along with it on and off the field) and can continue to compete in Nascar at the highest level. So, while I think Gibbs can probably still coach, I urge him to remember that life is short, and so is Dan Snyder. Walk away and do what you love, racing.

Speaking of the NFL, my friend Ari makes a great point that we go ballistic when baseball players cheat by using Steroids but it barely makes a blip when a football player gets suspended for the same offense. Why is that? Shawne Merriman is one of the best defensive players in the NFL, and it barely caused a murmur when he was suspended. Hollis Thomas is having a career year with the Saints. Now we find out it is because of his steroids use (er, asthma medication). Is does seem to be a double standard, and I would love to stir some debate as to why that is.

Last week, I raved about Kansas, Florida, and Maryland (among others) when discussing college basketball. Of course, Florida promptly lost to Florida St (which has been abysmal early this season), Kansas lost to DePaul (also not good so far), and Maryland lost to a Notre Dame team which was manhandled at home by Butler and lost most of its good players from a team that could not make the NCAAs last year. My natural response to all this is twofold. First, it just reiterates the point I made last week about unprecedented parity in the world of college hoops, and second, North Carolina is absolutely unbeatable (wink!).

As for college football, we have less than two weeks until the bowl season starts and a record 32 bowls, including perennial powers Rice, Troy, Northern Illinios, and San Jose St., among others. On the George Rogers show yesterday (http://georgeorgersradio.com), we hypothesized that the should add a 33rd bowl game called the Toilet Bowl, and let the Nation’s two winless teams, Duke and Florida International, battle it out to see who trult is the worst team in the country.

This BCS selection really proved that we desperately need a new system and that this is not working. Please let us have a playoff. It is not that Michigan should be in and Florida should be out (as you saw, I argued that Florida should be in given the ridiculous system we have in place); it is just that Michigan, Boise St., and Louisville can all make an argument they got screwed. And if we had a playoff, we could decide it on the field once and for all.

By the way, Michigan and Southern Cal may make the Rose Bowl th ebesat bowl game of all for the third straight year.

Has baseball completely gone insane? I thought the 3 year, $34 million deal that the Rangers gave to Vincente Padilla was the worst deal I would ever see (topping the absurd $24.5 million that the Philberts gave Adam Eaton over the same time period), but then I saw the most overrated man in baseball, Mr. Theo Epstein, use his stupid stats only analysis to give J.D. Drew $70 million for five years. This is a guy who is a career .286 hitter, has hit 30 home runs exactly once, does not steal bases any more, and plays so-so defense. This is a guy who wilts under the spotlight like week old flowers. This is a guy who does not play hurt. It is amazing that Theo gets a lifetime pass because he made one good move (Schilling) then got lucky (say what you want, but coming back from 3-0 down has never happened before or since, it was lucky) and won a world series. I look forward to seeing what Bill Simmons says about this awful signing. And Julio Lugo for 4 years and $36 million. At least when New York makes signings and buys high priced talent, it makes strategic sense.

Check back tomorrow and/or Friday for more ramblings.

17 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Stitz said...

Theo Epsteim was absolutely correct when he whined last year that the Red Sox "are not the Yankees." Let me losy some reasons why he is absolutely correct:
1. The Yankees have won 25 more titles than Boston has over the last 88 years.
2. The Yankees do not spend $51MM just for the right to negotiate with a Scott Boras client.
3. The Yankess spend $2MM more per year on Alexs Rodriguez than Boston does on JD Drew.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dils,

I'd argue that the steroid thing is about passing up former heroes:

Aaron, Mays, Mantle - no steroids, but their records are being broken by those who use them. How can we let these heroes be surpassed by drug users?

Butkus, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice - their records are not being broken by steroid users, so it's not harming the history or former heroes of the game

KMart

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dils-

Would it be possible for me to get your bowl picks in advance of making my selections? You are so systematically incorrect about sports that I would love to see them. Or, if that is a hassle, please just put me down for the exact opposite of what you pick.

Thanks.

M Zephyr

p.s. I love cry baby Yankee fans like Nitz. Haha! The Sox are in your head! That's right, give me the crap about your 25 titles, blah blah blah. Where do you hang the pennant that says "THE ONLY TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF BASESBALL, CHECK THAT, MODERN AMERICAN SPORT, TO GACK A 3-0 SERIES LEAD". The Sox own you now.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Ted Price said...

Michigan and USC in the Rose Bowl - aren't those the two teams Texas beat in the last two Rose Bowls? And where is Texas this year? In the Alamo Bowl with the other great underachieving team of the year: Iowa. Good times... good times

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Dils said...

M Zephyr:

I thought over 50% in both college and pro football for the season is pretty good. Anyway, I am happy to give you my opposite picks. Just send in your $100 with a note that you want everything opopsite of me and I will get you entered.

Dils

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The minute McNabb went down, a wildcard spot became an acceptable result. It would be an impressive feat for a team that could just as easily have given up. Stand by your team, Dils.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Dils said...

Grossy:

How does telling it how it is equate to not standing by my team? Does it mean I will root less hard for them? No. It simply means I will not be a homer a paint an idealistic yet not realistic picture.

Dils

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dils-

Fair point. Over 50% on football is not bad. I am not going to check your math on that since you are an honorable fellow.

I guess I will stick to betting opposite your baseball picks. Remember the Yanks-Twins 2006 ALCS that you fearlessly predicted prior to the division series? How about the Pads-Dodgers 2006 NLCS? Check it out for yourself: http://dilsmusings.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

My check is in the mail for the bowl games. I want exactly opposite of what you take, including the weighting (i.e., assign your number 32 game to me as my number 1 game etc.)

Warmest Regards,

M Zephyr

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. The statistical odds of randomly predicting all four division series incorrectly, particularly where you chose the favorites in both AL series, are overwhelming. You obviously have something more than just random bad luck on your side: you are really, really bad at predicting sports. Had I been employing my new technique of betting "Opposite Dils", I would have made a fortune.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Dils said...

MZ:

I was brutal in baseball. No question. In fact, the only series I got right was the world series, which I got right half cause I picked the Cardinals to help my buddy who was a Tigers fan get over the hump and half cause I was kind of picking against myself!

As far as the bowl pool goes, I would argue that my 32 point game should also be your 32 point game, since you should want to weight my strongest feeling one way as your strongest the opposite. Anyway, should be fun. I hope like hell you get your ass kicked :) !!!!

Dils

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that is right. Good point on the weighting. I will go with that.

M Zephyr

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude: when you post something on the internet, your computer leaves an ip address cookie. I just checked on yours, and traced it back to this phone number: (617) 438-92XX.

If you dont make that bet with Dils, I will shoot him the other two digits so that he can email it to the 1000 or so people on his email distribution list, inviting each of them to call you to ask why you chickened out.

Hope you are right about his crappy game picking skills...

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Stitz said...

Zeph - no doubt the Yanks pissed that series away in '04. But it not really look like you owned us during that 5-game series @ Fenway 4 months ago. With your logic, I guess the JETS are in NE's head because they just stomped the p*** out of Brady 3 weeks ago.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Stitz said...

BTW - I thought only the Yankees to afford to spend this kind of $? Must mean that other clubs are making $ and have chosen in past to not invest profits in player salaries - which is about as intelligent as super markets not buying food.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dils,

I agree with your general assessment about ND basketball. However, they were not "manhandled by Butler at home". They lost by two points, missing a three pointer at the buzzer. ND led for most of the second half. Also, the game was at Conseco Fieldhouse, essentially a home game for Butler.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must've been at a different game than me. There was no way more than 25% of the fans were rooting for ND. There is good support for ND in Indy for football. Not so much in hoops. A lot of fans in Indy root for the Irish in football and IU in hoops. I hate these type of fans. Anyway, ND just hung up 99 on the Tide.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was there. I saw mostly Butler fans/students. Bottom line is that it does not matter. Winning at Maryland and vs. #5 Bama may lead us back to the Dance for the first time in 4 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home