Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Price is Right: Ted is Back with Some Hockey Thoughts

My bad, since I am currently recharging my batteries, I am leaving you subjected to things like more hockey talk....I am hoping to have a post or two myself in May and then be back to a semi regular schedule by June.....here's my brother-in-law Ted with his take on the NHL.
______________________

Hey, if Dils won't update this site himself, then I am going to take advantage and fill up some space with some hockey talk. Someone has to do it, right?

The playoffs this year have been good - not great, but good. There have been plenty of overtimes, last-minute goals and stellar play to keep the fans interested. Although for me, it becomes a little harder now that my beloved Los Tiburones are out of it, but I can't complain too loudly on a blog run by a Philly sports fan.

Ducks, Red Wings, Senators, Sabres - no real surprises there. For the NHL's sake, I hope Detriot makes it to the Finals - not just because I hate Chis Pronger of the Ducks and everything he stands for, but because the TV ratings need a boost. And if commissioner Gary Bettman can't rig the playoffs to have the New York Rangers in the Finals (although for a while there it looked like he way trying), the Wings are the next best thing. Ratings have been up this year, but when you start at zero, you almost have to go up.

During the playoffs, the finalists for the end-of-the-year-awards are announced, so I thought I would continue a trend started last year and give my opinions on who will and who should win. I would look up how my predictions were last year, but I am too lazy.

Calder Memorial Trophy - Rookie of the Year
Evgeni Malkin - Pittsburgh Penguins
Jordan Staal - Pittsburgh Penguins
Paul Stastny - Colorado Avalance
Malkin came in this year with all the hype. He was the prized player from last year's draft (and if Bettman were as powerful a commissioner as David Stern, he wouldn't be in Pittsburgh), and he was teamed on the same line as Sidney Crosby. Maybe for that reason, he did not stand out as much as hoped. He still produced, especially at the start of the season. Actually, Stastny of the Avalanche had better numbers, and personally, I really like Staal (every team should have a Staal brother if they don't already). But since he had the ink going in, I would be shocked if Malkin didn't win it.

Frank Selke Trophy - Best Offensive Defenseman
Rod Brind'Amour - Carolina Hurricanes
Samuel Pahlsson - Anaheim Ducks
Jay Pandolfo - New Jersey Devils
It's almost impossible for West coast players to win any of these awards (imagine my shock last year when Joe Thornton actually beat Jaromir Jagr for MVP). I am inclined to say Pandolfo more for who he plays for than anything else, but Brind-amour is such a fan favorite - and with a Cup under his belt, I think the love affair continues.

Hart Trophy - MVP
Martin Brodeur - New Jersey Devils
Sidney Crosby - Pittsburgh Penguins
Roberto Luongo - Vancouver Canucks
This one was over a long time ago. Crosby not only led the league in scoring (at 19!!!) he saved an entire franchise. But I will say this, The Canucks would not have even sniffed the playoffs much less win their division had it not been for Luongo, and he has a lot less talent around him than Crosby does. If we are going by the strict definition of most valuable rather than best player, you have to say Luongo. But come on, Sid the Kid is the face of the entire league. Why he is not playing in New York, I'll never know (Bettman!!)

Vezina Trophy - Best Goaltender
Martin Brodeur - New Jersey Devils
Mikka Kiprusoff - Calgary Flames
Henrik Lundqvist - New York Rangers
Roberto Luongo - Vancouver Canucks
Here is where they make it up to Luongo. But I swear, if Brodeur or Lundqvist win it... East Coast bias is alive and well.
Interesting note - for the first time ever, there are four finalists for an award do to a tie for third place in the nomination voting. I would love to know who tied who.

Jack Adams Award - Best Coach
Lindy Ruff - Buffalo Sabres
Michel Therrien - Pittsburgh Penguins
Alain Vigneault - Vancouver Canucks
The snubbing of Ted Nolan continues. At least the NHL has not turned this award into a "hey, your team did not suck as bad as we thought they would" award like baseball has. It's Ruff's to loose. The Sabres were the best team out of the gates, and Ruff had them playing at a high intensity the entire season.

James Norris Trophy - Best Defenseman
Nicklas Lindstrom - Detriot Red Wings
Scott Neidermayer - Anaheim Ducks
Chris Pronger - Anaheim Ducks
Like I mentioned last year, when Lindstrom retires, they should re-name this trophy after him. If you watched any of the Wings/Sharks series, you would have seen what Lindstrom means to that team. And if Pronger wins, I may leave the league entirely until he retires.

Lady Bing Trophy - Sportsmanship
Pavel Datsyuk - Detroit Red Wings
Joe Sakic - Colorado Avalanche
Martin St. Louis - Tampa Bay Lightning
This award usually goes to the most productive player with the least amount of penalty minutes. As I noted before, I am too lazy to look up any stats and cross-reference them with penalty minutes. You get the feeling that some players may be embarrassed to win this thing - although Gretzky won about 347 of them. Let's say Sakic. Why? Why not?

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Stitz said...

old time hockey, Eddie Shore & Toe Blake

 

Post a Comment

<< Home